Thursday, December 30, 2010

Fee, Fie, Fum; Wi-Fi, Hum-m??

There are things that I just don't get. I act like it's not a BIG DEAL, but it IS! I don't want to be left out of this age of technology wonders! And that's where I am...WONDERING what it all means. Now, I can e-mail and face book with the best of 'em. I've even figured out how to post a BLOG! Don't ask me to create a spread-sheet, but why would I need to? When I taught, I kept all sorts of information in my computer and I thought "grade-quick" was the best thing that ever happened for teachers. But that's no longer relevant.
The thing that's really on my mind today is "WI-FI." Just what is that, exactly? Hotels have on their signs, WI-FI in all rooms; even RV-camps offer WI-FI. I have friends who toss the term around and really seem to know what they're talking about, as in, "We were traveling, and I was really out of touch a few days, because there was no WI-FI in the hotel, and I couldn't use my computer." I heard a friend OLDER THAN ME say that not long ago, and I was so impressed! Now,with the new gigantious t.v., hubby keeps talking about it being WI-FI capable.Then he started going on about needing some other things, like maybe a router in order for it to work. A ROUTER?  I kept asking him about it, and he had to break down and admit he doesn't actually understand what it all means either. (Keep this part a secret...you know how touchy men are when they have to make such an admission, and he will figure it out.) We both sat around today talking about wi-fi and just trying to figure it all out. Oh, we know the basics: transmission without wires, I think. How can you have no wires? You have to plug in somewhere, don't you? You can't have a movie going without the television plugged in. . . surely not! I can't use my computer without it plugged in. I don't have a lap-top, which is a mistake I can see. I know you can carry them around and use them w/o plugging in, but I think there's still a battery involved. And if it's wire-free, why isn't it called wi-fr, or even wi-fe? Is the FI like the "fi" in "high-fidelity"? That was once a big deal in the recording industry...hi-fi, for short. Fidelity, now that's confusing. Fidelity to me means remaining true in a relationship. What's that got to do with electronics? And nobody uses the term "hi-fi" anymore, like, "turn the hi-fi up, I really dig that music!" That's REALLY old, and soon evolved  to STEREOPHONIC sound, and "turn the stereo up a notch!"
So now, to WI-FI. I know it's a good thing to have, and if we have it, we can order movies on our computer from net-flix and some other companies, and they will "stream" right in there and play on the big screen in the den. WI-FI, I don't understand you, but I don't understand cell-phones either, and no one will catch me without mine! I hope we can have WI-FI, and that someone can tell me what the FI stands for, and I will soon be rid of some of the wires that clutter my house and will be enjoying great movies in our own little movie theater! Pass the ju-ju beans and sugar daddy's, please!

1 comment:

  1. According to Wikipedia: "A Wi-Fi enabled device such as a personal computer, video game console, smartphone or digital audio player can connect to the Internet when within range of a wireless network connected to the Internet."

    We LOVE our Wi-Fi. Our whole house is connected via router. Poor router works to manage our 2 laptops, iPod touch, 2 Droid phones, TiVo box, Wii, Playstation 3 and printer. Our TV is not Wi-Fi, but I will NOT point this out to hubby as he is looking for any excuse to buy a bigger TV!!!

    ReplyDelete